sábado, 30 de marzo de 2013

North Korea enters 'state of war' against South Korea

North Korea announced early on Saturday morning that it was entering a “state of war” against South Korea, hours after Kim Jong-un said he would “settle accounts” with Washington for threatening him with nuclear-capable stealth bombers.


Mr Kim directed his rocket units on standby at an overnight emergency meeting with top army commanders Photo: Reuters



“As of now, inter-Korea relations enter a state of war and all matters between the two Koreas will be handled according to wartime protocol,” the North said in a joint statement attributed to all government bodies and institutions. “The long-standing situation of the Korean peninsula being neither at peace nor at war is finally over,” said the statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA). The two Koreas have technically remained at war because the 1950-53 Korean War concluded with an armistice rather than a peace treaty. The North had announced earlier this month that it was ripping up the armistice and other bilateral peace pacts signed with Seoul in protest against South Korea-US joint military exercises. "This is not really a new threat - just part of a series of provocative threats," the South's Unification Ministry said in a statement.




Russia warned on Friday that North Korea, the US and South Korea were engaging in a dangerous game of brinkmanship that could spiral out of control. “We are opposed to any steps from any side that increase tensions,” said Sergei Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister. Earlier on Friday, Mr Kim ordered missile units to prepare to strike the US mainland as a British tour operator was warned that the "outbreak of war was probably only hours away". The order came after US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Washington would not be cowed by Pyongyang's bellicose threats and stood ready to respond to "any eventuality". Mr Kim directed his rocket units on standby at an emergency meeting with top army commanders after nuclear-capable US B-2 stealth bombers were deployed on Thursday in ongoing US joint military drills with South Korea. Plans to strike targets in Hawaii and the continental United States were revealed in a photograph taken in Kim Jong-un's military command centre that was released on Friday. The photo appeared in the state-run Rodong newspaper and was apparently taken at an "emergency meeting" early on Friday morning. They show Kim signing the order for North Korea's strategic rocket forces to be on standby to fire at US targets, the paper said, with large-scale maps and diagrams in the background. The images show a chart marked "US mainland strike plan" and missile trajectories that the NK News web site estimates terminate in Hawaii, Washington DC, Los Angeles and what they claim is Austin, Texas. In the event of any "reckless" US provocation, North Korean forces should "mercilessly strike the US mainland ... military bases in the Pacific, including Hawaii and Guam, and those in South Korea", he was quoted as saying by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA). While North Korea has no proven ability to conduct such strikes, Mr Kim said: "The time has come to settle accounts with the US imperialists."

full article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9962372/North-Korea-enters-state-of-war-against-South-Korea.html


source and credit a telegraph


recommend this great news page!! telegraph.co.uk